NEUROSCIENCE SPECIFIC RESOURCES
- School of Neuroscience Diversity and Inclusion Page
- Black in Neuro: celebrating Black excellence in neuroscience related fields
VIRGINIA TECH RESOURCES
- See Something? Say Something! Reporting a Bias-Related Incident at Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech Policy on Discrimination, Harassments, and Assault
- Virginia Tech Inclusion and Diversity
- Black Mental Health Resources
- Our Voice: support group for students of color at Virginia Tech
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech (540-231-7806)
- Cultural and Community Centers at Virginia Tech
CAREER DEVELOPMENT FOR GRADUATE AND POSTDOCTORAL TRAINEES
- Faculty Women of Color in the Academy Conference
- 9th Annual Conference on April 10, 2021 (virtual)
- The Faculty Women of Color in the Academy conference is a unique educational and professional opportunity for indigenous and women of color in higher education to network, engage, and learn with colleagues from around the country. Conference sessions explore topics of leadership, career advancement, personal well-being and scholar activism.#FWCA2021
- Future Faculty Diversity Program
- FFDP is for graduate students or post-doctoral scholars within one year of seeking a faculty position at a research intensive institution. Enhance the faculty pipeline by establishing and developing significant meaningful relationships with prospects, especially scholars traditionally underrepresented in their fields.
FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS AND UNDERGRADUATES
- Black College Institute
- BCI is a pre-college, 5-day academic summer enrichment program on Virginia Tech’s main campus in Blacksburg Virginia. It hosts talented, high-achieving and academically curious rising high school juniors and seniors.
COOK COUNSELING AT VIRGINIA TECH
- Cook Counseling Center at Virginia Tech (540-231-6557)
- Call 540-231-6557 to schedule a Cook Connect Session. At this 15-20 minute meeting, the Connect Clinician will review student concerns, discuss available resources, and collaboratively develop a Connect Plan that will provide the support they need.
- Services Offered
- Information for International Students
- RAFT Crisis Hotline (540-961-8400)
- Raft is a program of NRVCS (New River Valley Community Services) that offers free paraprofessional phone counseling services to the community.
- MHAV “Warm Line” (1-866-400-MHAV (6428))
- The Warm Line is a peer-run service for residents of Virginia. This support line is offered for individuals, family members, and other concerned parties who would like someone to talk to, or who request community mental health resources, or who have specific questions about their recovery journey.
- Text /Chat Support: 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM Wednesday, Friday & Saturday
- Hours: Monday to Friday: 9 AM to 9 PM // Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 5 PM to 9 PM
EDUCATION AND FURTHER READING
- Anti-Racism Resources (and How to be a Better Ally)
- Compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein (May 2020).
- An Antiracist Reading List by Ibram X. Kendi
- Books for Anti-Racist Teachers (suggested book list)
- Anti-Racist Education (suggested book list)
women in stem
- 500 Women Scientists
- Organization whose mission is to serve society by making science open, inclusive, and accessible and transform society by fighting racism, patriarchy, and oppressive societal norms. They have a local Blacksburg Pod that you can join
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- AAUW is advocating for women and girls through Funding, Education and Advocacy (for Equity)
- BiasWatchNeuro The goal of this site is to track the speaker composition of conferences in neuroscience, particularly with respect to gender representation.
- Anne’s List Highlighting female systems neuroscientists